How to Perform the Dumbbell Biceps Curl
About the Dumbbell Biceps Curl Exercise:
This variation of biceps curl utilizes dumbbells instead of the typical flat barbell or EZ-bar’s. This is a great alternative for those with wrist dysfunctions or find pain with the barbells.
Muscles Used in the Dumbbell Biceps Curl Exercise:
Biceps is utilized primarily with all the flexors of the forearm and supinator muscles working as well. The shoulders also play a role in stabilizing but shouldn’t do a lot of work if done properly.
Perform the Dumbbell Biceps Curl Exercise
- Can be seated or standing with hand grasping dumbbells at sides with palms facing your body.
- Stand up tall if standing or straighten back if seated throughout.
- Feet should be shoulder width apart.
- Arms should be hanging straight down with palms in front of you.
- Begin by flexing at the elbow.
- Palms should be facing forward until elbow is flexed all the way (then facing you).
- Keep wrist straight and don’t allow for bending as this can cause injury.
- Flex elbows until you cannot move any farther.
- Palms should now be facing your shoulder.
- Elbows should stay close to torso the whole time.
- Do not use momentum to swing the weight.
- Slowly extend elbows while keeping them tucked in at your torso.
- Keep wrist and back straight.
- Keep palms facing forward.
- Movement is complete when arms are near where they began.
Latest posts by Directlyfitness Team (see all)
- The Biggest Mistakes You’re Making in the Gym - November 25, 2013
- Happy Thanksgiving 2013! 4 Healthy Side Dishes to Accompany Your Traditional Turkey - October 29, 2013
- Developing Masculine Pecs - October 4, 2013